As I was waiting for Higher Secondary results, a family friend asked me to explore the names of Engineering Colleges. This led to my first visit to Commercial Library in Old Council House Street. This Library has good collection for updating knowledge in various fields. There I also came across a book on demography of Netherlands. Though there is difference in incomes of individuals, but the around 75% of people belong to middle class. This is the reason of high consumption pattern in those countries. Unemployed population being supported by an unemployment allowance.
After Higher Secondary results were out, I was searching colleges for admission in Physics Honors stream. But suddenly, something untoward incident happened in my family and I was unable to take admission in College for about three months. In the meantime, I came across Chartered Accountants (CA) who encouraged me to join the course. After some reluctance, I joined B.Com (Hons) with Bhowanipore Education Society College with an aim to join CA in due course of time.
Initially, I had some difficulty in coping with the changed stream. But I was completely at ease before the end of First Year. At that time, Father of one of my friend introduced me in SR Batliboi & Co., Chartered Accountants (now a part of E&Y) as intern.
Thereafter, I got registered as a student of CA course. After clearing Entrance exam, I took Article ship with the same firm as there was a system of queue for interns as preference for joining as Article clerk in those times. My early joining for internship helped and I need not had to wait for joining Article ship in a prestigious firm.
Having large Corporate Audits, we had to visit outstation too from time to time. There was no internet, even STD during those times. Letters were only mode of communication with the family or office. Travelling and staying with strange persons was an experience in itself. Sharing experiences with seniors and even experts during the stay was great value-addition in life.
As I recall, there was considerable absenteeism in College during my final year of degree course.
No comments:
Post a Comment